The castle in Peleș Valley, the summer residence of Romanian royalty, was built during the rule of Carol I (1866-1914) and today it is an important national monument of XIX century Europe.
Several other buildings, annexed to the castle, were built simultaneously: Pelișor Castle, The Guard's Chambers, The Economat,
The Foișor Hunting House, The Stables, the Electrical Power Plant and the "Șipot" Villa.
Until the completion of Peleș Castle(1883), the royal couple lived in the hunting house. Due to the electrical plant in the Peleș Valley,
Peleș Castle was the first European castle entirely lit by electrical current. During the 1990s a new floor was attached, ant the main tower was also raised.
The castle covers an area of 3200 sqm, has got 160 rooms and 30 bathrooms. The castle shelters one of the valuable painting collections in Europe,
and a XIV-XVII century weapon collection, 4000 pieces.
The castle is a true wonder, due to the sculpted wood and the stained glass windows. 35% of the castle can be visited today.
The Reception Room was built in 1991 by architect Karel Liman, he redesigned the interior yard into a a true wonder,
due to the richness of the sculpted wood and the stained glass windows. The armory rooms were built between 1903-1906,
while the Council Room was ready in 1914.
The Florentine Room was designed in the Italian Renaissance style. The room of the theatre bulit in the sytle of Louis XIV accomodates 60 places.
The emperor's residence was built in 1603 in the style of Maria Tereza on the occasion of Franz Josef's visit.
After the forced abdication of the king in 1947 the castle was opened for tourism.
During the last years of the communist regime the entire area was closed to tourists.
Today except the hunting house, which remained a presidential residence, the
Peles complex was re-integrated into the tourism circuit. Hotels were established to the Economat Building and
the Guard's Chambers Building, while in the rest of the complex villas dominate.